Triple Courses, part 6
I've been using the 30-string Double Contraguitar set up with six triple courses since 2023. Since then, I've used it in over 30 recording sessions. It's become one of my most-utilized instruments. In fact, in a recording session in late July 2026, I forced myself not to use it, as I'd been using it so frequently and coming to rely upon it in recording sessions. Example: my solo album Codex IV only uses the 30-string Double Contraguitar and the 30-string Contra-Baritone guitar on the entire record.
When I first conceived of a 12-course instrument having six triple courses and six double courses, I didn't entirely know what to expect in terms of how much I'd utilize it. I have the 15-string baritone, conceived as a test platform. It has three triple courses, and I like it very much, and had gotten to know it and used it on a couple of studio dates prior to the creation of the 30-string. However, there wasn't really a precedent for a 30-string Double Contraguitar with six triple courses.
I knew I'd like the harmonic possibilities. After having it for a couple of years, I'm more in love with the harmonic environments than I could have imagined. As in, it's proving arduous to tear myself away from it.
I'm really happy that I moved forward with the experiment.
The harmonic environments made possible with this instrument continue to surprise and astound me. It certainly takes me to harmonic planets otherwise inaccessible with any other instrument. 18-voice (and more) harmonic structures are consistently accessible.
I change the tunings on the triple courses from time to time. Doing so opens new harmonic doors, and further extends my triple-course concepts and horizons. Challenging; yet fascinating.
More to come.
-kk

Comments
Post a Comment