The Next 30

 

The instrument that was previously the 28-string Double Contraguitar is now the 30-string Double Contraguitar.  This was achieved by adding two more of the Rickard Cyclone tuners.  

This is not my first 30-string instrument.  Since 2012, I've been playing the 30-string Contra-Alto guitar.  However, that's a very different instrument, as one neck is an 18-string Contraguitar, and the other is a 12-string Alto guitar.  The new 30 comprises two 15-string Contraguitars.

As a 28-string, the course layout was four double courses (low E, A, D, G) and two triple courses (B and high E) per neck.  After using this configuration for about a year, and deploying this instrument on several album recording projects, I knew I wanted one more triple course per side to make it all more balanced.  Additionally, another triple course per side greatly expands the harmonic palette.  The current course configuration is three triple courses and three double courses per neck; 15 strings on each for a total of 30 strings.  The change was to turn the G course from a double-course into a triple-course; now the course layout is double courses for the low E, A, and D; triple courses for the G, B, and high E.
After spending a morning getting the additional tuners installed, I spent most of a day grappling with the (new) 30.  Getting triple-course spacing exactly right is somewhere between a nightmare and borderline impossible.  Really difficult.  It requires very precise measurement at the nut, filling the old slots for the third double course, then recutting three new slots per nut.
For me, it's mentally draining attempting to get the math correct.  And, like making tuner holes, it's a free solo kind of free-mountaineering thing where you get one chance.  Any mistakes and you refill the nut slots and start over.

After the nuts were complete, I installed a new full set of strings.

When I have a new instrument, it can take a couple of years or more to completely determine the right set of strings for it for a given tuning.  Part of that process is breaking/wasting strings that are the wrong gauge or wrong winding compound.  I think I broke or wasted 8 strings yesterday; I lost count.  It's mildly frustrating, but just part of that process.  I had new tunings in mind for the new triple G courses, but after getting it strung/tuned, the new tuning for that course broke the overall tuning, so I had to try again and that was part of the string wastage.  Now that the new strings are on, and I've determined the tunings for the new triple courses, I really like the new tunings.  For this string change, I tried going with all 80/20 bronze-wound strings.  Previously on this instrument, I'd been using phosphor bronze strings which are usually my preference.  We'll see how it fares with the 80/20 set, but thus far, I like it.  The 80/20 bronze compound makes the articulation a bit clearer and more pronounced.

For the instruments I have that use multiple tuner types (guitar, banjo, bass tuners on the same instruments), I must confess that I do like the way it looks on the back; like some kind of complex 21st-century lute, or something that's never existed.


-kk


Comments

Popular Posts