Oil vs. Tempera, part 2

 


In this recent blog post, I discussed the 15-string Extended Classical guitar.  And its voice and when and how I utilize it.  At the time of writing that post, only the low sub-bass D string was a steel string; all others were nylon.  I so liked the voice of the low D phosphor bronze-wound string that I decided to change the low E and sub A strings from nylon lute strings to phosphor bronze-wound strings.  That transition is complete, and now the low three single courses are all phosphor bronze-wound strings.  Gauges from low E to sub-bass A are .056, .066, and .076 or .080.  For the low sub-D, I'm still experimenting with the gauge; either .076 or .080.

The instrument now has a more powerful bass register.  The articulation is also improved.  In my opinion, nylon strings tend to have less articulation and are mushier- or softer-sounding than steel strings.  

The only downside to this transition or perhaps evolution is that the action for those low three bass courses are now a bit too high.  I'll need to pull the saddle and shave the base of it to get the action where I want it, but that's not a difficult job.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the new voice of the 15, and will no doubt be using it more because of it.

-kk










Comments

Popular Posts