Paul Hindemith

 

I've been a fan of the works of Paul Hindemith (1895 - 1963) since I was in my late teens.  His music is so rich that I feel as if I'm still discovering it.  Once I start listening to him, it will likely be the only thing to which I'll listen for a week or more.  In fact, as I am writing this, I'm currently listening to his Trio for Piano, Heckelphone, and Viola.  Why the heckelphone is not more well-known and utilized is a total mystery to me.  For that matter, why Hindemith is not more well-known is a total mystery to me.

I'm particularly drawn to his string quartets; amazing works.  At once modern, dense, and airy.  

Hindemith, when not composing, was a violist.  As such, he composed a set of works for solo viola, and another set of works for viola and pianoTremendous works all around.  Once I start listening to these, I'll be listening to them for a couple of weeks.  

I could go on attempting to describe his singular work and what it means to me, but I'll leave this blog post here, with the hopes that you'll discover Hindemith, too.

-kk



Comments

Popular Posts