Comparing Gauges on the 24


For about eight months, I had the 24-string Double Subcontraguitar set up such that each neck, while in the same D subcontra register, have different gauged strings on each neck.  The left side had lighter gauges, while the right side had heavier gauges.  

I originally set it up this way to compare and to discover the optimum gauges for this new instrument in a new register.  

After living with this setup for a few months, I've decided I like the heavier gauges for this instrument and this register.  The voice is fuller and more robust.  The action can be adjusted a tiny bit lower with the heavier gauges.  The right-hand resistance from course to course feels more uniform with heavier gauges.  

I'd experimented with various gauges on the low D string.  The two best gauges were .085 and .100; both bass strings and nickel-wound.  I currently have both low D strings at .085, but may migrate back to .100 at the next string change.

On carbon fiber instruments, the winding compounds have more of an audible difference than on wood instruments.  I usually prefer phosphor bronze windings on most courses.  I usually prefer nickel windings on the lower bass strings, as I hear better articulation and definition with nickel windings in the low registers.  However, on the 24, I have mixed in a few 80/20 wound strings where I want a bit brighter response.

String gauges and winding types are just one more variable in an instrument that's never previously existed.

This week, I changed strings on the 24 and now both sides have the same gauged set.  I matched both sides with the slightly heavier set I'd been trying on the right side over the past several months.

Another advantage of carbon fiber instruments is their responsiveness.  They're so alive that even with old strings they're still quite responsive.  I recently read that carbon fiber has a response that's three times faster than wood.  I have no way of proving that, but I'm not surprised by that number.  The carbon fiber instruments are more responsive than I can explain in words.  New strings bring a kind of clarity and articulation that I don't hear with new strings on wood instruments.

-kk

Comments

Popular Posts