The Evolution of Material, part 2


In a previous post, I discussed the possibilities of evolving compositions.  Another kind of compositional evolution can be in regards to titles for compositions and albums.

I've long thought about some specific previously-released album tracks used as new or future album titles.  The reason is because there are extant track titles on some of my albums that are so strong or so poignant or so evocative of strong visual imagery that I may want to give them a second life as an album title.  Further, some of those titles are so strong that I can envision entire albums that seem to spring to life fully formed merely by thinking of the title.  

In thinking of these kinds of extant track titles that I've created for other compositions, oddly enough I don't hear the piece to which the title was assigned.  I felt that the title did fit that piece at the time.  But over time, I think some titles can almost take on a life of their own.  They get stuck in my head like an old song you might hear in passing on the radio.  Moreover, having a title stuck in my head evokes more and more thoughts about it.  About the title.  What it means.  What it could mean.  Meanings it contains that are hidden.  Additional meanings that might be read into it.  Sounds and pictures evoked by the title.  Directions and the sounds of a new set of pieces based on or inspired by that title.  Compositional structure built on or shaped by that title.

I enjoy the arduous process and challenge of creating and writing new titles for compositions.  But when one of my previous titles sticks with me and just keeps coming back to me and each time results in thoughts of new pieces; well..... 

A big part of me thinks that I should create new titles for each new album, composition, or set of pieces.  But when I have a reaction that over time becomes this strong, this palpable, this tangible, it makes me think that repurposing that composition title as an album title, or as a set of new pieces, isn't wrong.  

The pieces seem to burst forth from these kinds of titles all on their own.  This process feels and seems completely out of my hands.  It's almost visceral.

Ergo, I think that for titles that are in this category I will repurpose some compositional titles into album titles.

-kk


Comments

Popular Posts