Rothko

 

Mark Rothko is one of the many artists that have influenced me as a composer and musician.  Perhaps even as a person.

I suspect that in Rothko's art, we see ourselves.  

Untitled (Black on Grey); 1970

I interpret his paintings as unknown adventures in unknown spaces.

I often read his paintings as harmonic clouds suspended above other harmonic clouds.  This creates a singular entity of, in my mind, a vertically stacked harmonic atmosphere.  I see textures in his colors and brush techniques that I can practically hear.  No doubt this sensing of suspended harmonic clouds has and continues to make its way into my compositions.

Rothko once said, "My paintings are for people who would make use of the paintings for the needs of their own spirit."  That's quite a statement.

If there are both needs and sprits, there is bound to be a real transaction. 

Thank you, Mr. Rothko.

-kk


Comments

Popular Posts