Sibelius

 


I've been on something of a Jean Sibelius bender of late.  Yesterday, I listened to Sibelius Symphony Number 6 three times.

This isn't new.  If I start listening to his 4th symphony, I can listen to it repeatedly for days.  At times I've repeated the opening section over and over; it's rather amazing to me.


Sibelius' harmonic world is fascinating to me.  Clearly within the 20th century, but entirely his own.  For example, I don't hear influence from the Second Viennese School; members of which were his peers and contemporaries.  I like many elements of his composing: his melodic sense, certainly his concept of harmony and harmonic structure, his juxtapositioning of structural elements, sudden changes of direction, unusual orchestrational textures, and more.

His seventh symphony is rather different; not only among his body of work, but within the entire symphonic realm.  His seventh is not the only symphony contained within a single movement, but it is the only one of his that's architected fully within a single movement.  It's a fascinating  piece.
  
The story of his eighth symphony is quite interesting and at times disturbing to me.  It would be highly interesting if the extant bits of it were somehow compiled, performed, and recorded.  I suspect he may have been going in a new direction with it.

I don't know if I'd call him one of my favorite composers, but I am a big fan of his symphonies.  I also like much of his solo piano works, and his lone string quartet.  If you're unfamiliar with his work, there is plenty of it available on YouTube.  Recommended.

-kk


Comments

Popular Posts