Pedal Steels

 

I've long been mildly fascinated with pedal steel guitars.  They're a very unique instrument, both in sound and conception.  Rampant, almost required, in country and western music, they seem almost unknown in any other genre.  I'm not sure why.  The vast possibilities in a full-on double-neck steel with a full complement of knee levers and foot pedals is formidable.  The potential in so many variations of on-the-fly tuning changes and pitch-bending within chords is truly fascinating.

From time to time, I've toyed with the idea of acquiring a pedal steel.  I'd love to try to work one into my music.  Or explore it on its own terms and see where that might lead.  Additionally, I'd like to see what I could do with it that's not been done, as I feel that sadly this instrument is largely underutilized and underexplored.

Maybe I'll acquire one at some point and begin exploring and learning the world of pedal steel.  With so many copedent options, it's nearly mind-boggling.  

In the meantime, perhaps I'll discover some pedal steel explorers and trailblazers.  They must be out there somewhere.

-kk

Comments

Popular Posts