Spirits

 



I discussed some of Keith Jarrett's solo piano work and its impact on me in this post a few months ago.
Keith Jarrett's double album "Spirits" is an entirely different set of works with minimal piano.  "Spirits" was recorded at his home studio in 1986.  You can read about its background and genesis here.  

"Spirits" is entirely unique in Keith's oeuvre.  It is built on the concept of layered or overdubbed instruments, all of which are played by Keith.  The instruments on this record are:
Flute [Pakistani, Alto Vermont Folk], Tabla [3 Sets], Shaker [South American], Recorder [Ebony Moeck Sopranino, Ebony Moeck Soprano, Ebony Moeck Alto, Ebony Moeck Tenor, White Maple Moeck Bass, White Maple Moeck Great Bass], Voice, Saxophone [King Straight Soprano], Piano [Steinway], Guitar [Orozco], Glockenspiel [Miniature], Tambourine [Small], Cowbell [African Double], Baglama [Saz].

An unusual set of instruments for a most unusual album project.  Though Keith is both a jazz and classical musician, "Spirits" is in neither of those categories.  It is so very sui generis that it doesn't really fit into any category.  I've heard it labeled as world music based on some of the instruments involved.  I don't think of it in that way; for me, it's just a tremendous and singular work of art without a category.

The compositions and performances on this record are, for me, highly impactful.  It was recorded on a 4-track cassette recorder, and at the time of its recording was never intended for release.  It was essentially a therapeutic exercise for Keith, who was at the time going through some intense times in his personal life.  I think that may explain some of the emotional impact of this music.  Since its release in 1986, I've returned time and again to this record.  It has and continues to have a visceral impact on me.  Furthermore, I feel that it has imprinted on me, and I sense that it has made some impact or shaped certain aspects of my own music, even though I couldn't tangibly say what specifically or how.

I recommend it most highly, and to Keith if you're reading this: thank you for "Spirits."

-kk

Comments

Popular Posts