Triple Courses, part 1

 

Over the past couple of weeks, I've modified my Martin X-12 12-string into a 15-string. To do so, I added three Steinberger tuners to the headstock, modified the string ramps at the bridge for the high three courses, cut three additional slots in the nut, and cut some very slight string guides in the bridge saddle.  

The low three double-courses are tuned in octaves, and the high three triple-courses are tuned to various harmonic structures.  In the year and a half that I've had this Martin, I continue to be impressed at its voice.  Its natural voicing supports the triple courses quite well; volume and balance are very good.

Triple courses enable me to execute a tone cluster with one finger.  Playing major or minor seconds on a 6-string guitar requires an often extreme amount of finger stretching; playing more than one major or minor second simultaneously is nearly impossible.  With triple courses, this is no longer a problem, and in fact opens up deep harmonic options that are otherwise unattainable on guitar.

I'm excited at the harmonic potential.  

-kk


Comments

Popular Posts