Double Sub-Contra Tunings

 

This week, for the first time, I've set up one of the doublenecks as a double sub-contraguitar.  I define sub-contra tunings as anything below E contra tuning.  And E contra tuning is defined as being one whole octave below concert E tuning.  

I go into some detail regarding subcontra-tuned instruments in this blog post.  

The doubleneck in this case is the new Emerald KK series 24-string Double Contraguitar; now the 24-string Double Subcontraguitar, as it is in D subcontra tuning.

D subcontra tuning is very rich, and perhaps more resonant than E contra tuning.  I'm very drawn to these darker colors, and compose/perform differently with them than in other higher-pitched tunings.  My approach to each instrument changes based on its tuning and register.  

Currently, both sides of the 24 are in octaves.  I've yet to devise intervalic tunings for it, but have already started work on this part of the project.  I'll likely keep it in octaves for another couple of weeks so as to learn its voice in a subcontra tuning.  Octave tunings are great for that.  Once I feel that I know this new voice better, then I'll devise new non-octave-based tunings for both sides.  

Subcontra tunings are relatively new to me, and provide new textures and colors that are otherwise inaccessible.  This points me in new directions, and opens previously unknown territories.  I greatly look forward to discovering and learning more about these directions and weaving this fabric into my approach.

I'll be incorporating this double subcontra in some upcoming album recording projects.

-kk

Comments

Popular Posts