The Mysterious World of C#


Over the past couple of months, I've been exploring tunings based in C#.  This tuning is down a minor third (three half-steps) from concert E tuning.  I currently have two instruments in C# tuning; a 12-string that is a minor third lower than E concert, and one of the Contraguitars, which is a full octave lower than that.  I'd call the Contra C# tuning "sub-contra" tuning, as it is down a minor third below standard E contra tuning.


I can't yet explain it, but there is something magical about tuning in C#.  Resonances change and become more alive.  The instrument is more responsive.  Elements in the strings and tuning seem to come forward.  

I've not specifically developed any tunings to be based in C#, but will do soon.  I know that tunings explicitly created for a specific tuning center (in this case, C#), have more impact than merely transposing an existing tuning into the new tuning center.

In spite of that, the tunings I'm using in C# on those two instruments are existing and transposed tunings.  Even so, they seem to breathe new depth and colors.  It will be fascinating to see and hear what happens when I design tunings specifically for C#.  Stay tuned.

-kk

Comments

Popular Posts