Atmospherics

 

Of late I've been working on harmonic structures I'd call "atmospherics."  These are harmonic structures that evoke an atmosphere.  One example of this is the opening chord of Act II of Alban Berg's opera Lulu.  That chord is not only rich with harmonic complexity, but it's something I wish I could freeze and just hear for an extended period.  I envision harmonic structures like that one to be something akin to a mist that fills a room.  As if to diffuse that harmonic mist or fog into a room and allow it to hang in the air accordingly.  It would be a wondrous thing to be able to study it, absorb it, to reside in that harmonic atmosphere at will.

Harmonic atmospheres are not simply harmony in a supporting role of the melody; it is its own entity.  Neither melody, or as I hear it, harmony.  It's more what I'd call a harmonic atmosphere.  It evokes an entire harmonic environment.  

It's one thing to compose these harmonic atmospheres.  It's another thing entirely to adapt them to guitar and guitar-family instruments.  Using some of my own tunings, I'm able to access some of these.  More importantly, to discover and establish my own harmonic atmospheres.  For me, this is an endlessly fascinating area of composition; almost bordering on research.  There will be future compositions for guitar-family instruments that include, and are even based on, harmonic atmospheres.

-kk














Comments

Popular Posts