Sub-Contra


The 16-string Contra guitar (C2) was originally designed for and tuned in contra E tuning, one octave below concert E guitar tuning.  That's where I used it for eight or nine years.  I then experimented with string gauges to see if I could drop it down into D tuning, one whole step below E contra tuning.  That worked beautifully, and C2 has remained in contra D tuning for two or three years.  I have no intentions of putting it back in contra E tuning, as contra D tuning is much richer and darker.

I've used various intervallic tunings for C2, but since I've had it in contra D tuning, it's remained in an all-octaves tuning.  It's a beautiful voice; very dark but lyrical.

Today I was shedding with it, and wondered if I it would support C tuning, which is another whole step lower than contra D tuning, and a major third lower than contra E tuning.  So I dropped everything by a whole step, and it worked.  It not only worked, it worked perfectly.  So much so that I immediately recorded a new piece using it.  

This also provides another register to which I've not had access.  I've never had an instrument in subcontra C tuning; hence this is an entirely new color, register, and voice.

I'm not sure how to classify it or mentally think of this new tuning.  It's far enough away from contra E tuning that I think it needs its own name or category.  I am thinking of it as being a new sub-contra tuning.   

If so, that would make C2 a 16-string Subcontra guitar.  Until I can think of a better name for it.

I'm very excited about this new tuning and new register.  The voice is extremely resonant and rich, not to mention the obvious bass-extended contra register.  It's well-balanced in all registers.  It's such an amazing and responsive instrument that even in subcontra C tuning, it retains all its clarity and definition.

The C tuning is working very well using the same string gauges as contra D tuning, but I'll likely fine-tune the string wrapping compound combinations.  However, it's speaking so very well in all registers that I don't feel an immediate need to do that.

I've had it in the studio to record a couple of test pieces.  It will certainly be on some upcoming album projects.

On to new compositions for sub-contra guitar.

-kk

Comments

Popular Posts