Air Above Mountains

 



I've been a fan of Cecil Taylor since the mid-1980s.  Specifically, his solo piano works.  I feel that he boldly and bravely charges into extreme and undiscovered lands where other pianists fear to tread.  Or are unable to even imagine.  Though he is usually categorized as jazz, I'd make the argument that his solo piano work is clearly more in the contemporary classical art music field.  It is very dense and angular; full of tone clusters, dense harmonics, and jagged rhythms.  These are some of the elements in his solo works to which I am drawn and that I love.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been re-discovering his album entitled Air Above Mountains.  This is a recording of a live concert performance on 20 August 1976 in Austria.  It consists of two long-form compositions.  The more I listen to this record, the more structure I hear.  Though improvised in a live concert, both of these pieces are comprised of such compositional elements as form, phrases, themes and thematic development, intense dynamic contrasts, and more.  Harmonically, I don't think it gets much denser than this.  It's a beautiful record.  And one that demands attention; it's not background music.  

I suspect that the harmonic, melodic, and rhythmic density found in Cecil's solo works originates in energy.  The sheer raw energy and acute passion that is poured into his compositions and performances is staggering.  I suspect it's a learned and practiced element and discipline.  I think this extreme level of energy must also be learned and practiced.  Discovering how to tangibly grasp that kind of energy and aim, focus, or funnel it into an instrument or a composition.  It doesn't happen by accident.

For me, listening to Cecil is nothing short of a glimpse into the harmonic awesome.  I think he is the definition of brilliant, and a true innovator.  

If you can locate a copy of Air Above Mountains or Garden, I strongly recommend that you purchase a copy.


-kk


Comments

Popular Posts