Cello Position

 


Several years ago, I migrated to putting the guitar in cello position while playing.  

In other words, the instrument is on a cello pin, and held vertically between my legs in a seated position in the same manner as a cellist.  At first it was necessary due to the very wide necks on the Contraguitars.  With the instrument in the conventional horizonal position, it is impossible to get full access to all the strings, especially the bass strings.  

Putting the guitar in cello position solved many technical issues and limitations for me;

  • I could easily and evenly reach the entire fingerboard and all strings, no matter the width of the neck.
  • The instrument supports itself; I no longer have to hold it in position while playing.  I can take my hands off the instrument and it remains upright in the perfect playing position.
  • I am no longer forced to keep my left thumb behind the neck.  This brings a new world of left hand freedom.  My reach is increased, and I can use my left thumb as a fifth finger in many chord voicings or big stretches of distantly located notes.
  • Instruments without a cutaway are no longer a problem; I can fully access the extreme upper registers with the same ease as accessing the rest of the neck and lower registers.
  • I no longer get pain or stiffness in my left or right wrists after a long practicing day or an extended recording session.
  • Cello position opens up new techniques that are not possible in horizontal position.
  • Perfect posture is now possible, which reduces muscle fatigue and stress.

I've had all my main instruments modified with a cello fitting, even those without an inordinately wide neck.  It's the only position in which I want to play, and if I pick up a guitar without a cello fitting and play it in horizontal position, it feels cramped, restrained, and limited.

I keep each instrument's vertical height on the pin such that the 5th fret is right at eye level.  If I glance at the fingerboard by keeping my eyes level and turning my head to the left, my eyes should line up with the 5th fret.  This is the ideal position and height for me after several years of experimenting with height.

My cello fittings and cello rods are all from New Harmony Music.  I find the quality to to be superb, and I've never had any issues with their parts.  For a cello stop, I use these.  Completely stable with no slipping, and easy to fold up in the case for tours.

Evolving to cello position has been one of the biggest advances in my technique.

-kk

Comments

Popular Posts