Care and Feeding

 

C3 bridge

I think most non-musicians are surprised to hear that instruments require ongoing maintenance.  I usually liken guitar maintenance to that of cars.  There are the perpetual scheduled maintenance appointments.  And no matter how well you care for your car, eventually parts wear out and must be replaced.  It's the same with instruments and especially guitars.  

One example is frets.  Frets wear out and must eventually be replaced.  And then there's the question of which frets do you want?  There is quite a wide range.  Variables are things like shape, height, profile, width, and compound material.  Different fret metals will impact the tone of the instrument: nickel silver frets tend to have a slightly softer tone, while stainless steel frets tend toward a brighter tone.  Each type of metal wears differently, too.  There's no better or best type of fret; it's a very personal choice and you select the frets that best fit your playing, technique, and tonal preferences.  A total refret is a big job; thankfully it can take several years of playing before it's time for a refret.  

Just as the type of fret can make a difference in tone and playability, so can all the other parts on a guitar. 

I'm very fortunate to have two extremely talented luthiers that do my instrument work.  I don't know where I'd be without them.  Last week I picked up four of my instruments from my luthier.  They were in for various modifications and maintenance.  A properly maintained guitar can mean the difference between an instrument at which you feel at home versus an instrument that's entirely unplayable.   

Another important element in the care and feeding of all stringed instruments, not just guitars, is keeping them at the proper temperature and humidity levels.  Improper temperature and humidity can severely damage acoustic string instruments.  In my instrument room, I keep two thermometers/hygrometers to accurately monitor temperature and humidity levels.  During the long winter months I keep a humidifier running to maintain the proper humidity level, which is around 35 - 40%.

This all sounds like additional work, and it is.  However, when you have a good system in place, it's pretty easy to keep things where they need to be.

I knew an elderly jazz musician years ago, now passed, who always said "Take care of your axe and your axe will take care of you." 

-kk

Comments

Popular Posts